Friday, February 28, 2014

Be thankful. Everyday.

Just as a heads up to all my readers out there...all 4 of you, I am changing the name of my blog, so the email updates will now appear in your inbox as "Be thankful. Everyday."

I have learned so much about myself and life from this experience and I am still learning, but I can honestly say the biggest take away from it all has been to be thankful everyday. You have to appreciate every moment, everyday. That seriously is the most important thing I have learned. It is so simple, but you'd be surprised how often it is overlooked on a daily basis. Be thankful. Everyday. --- I say this to myself each morning. It's such a great way to start your day or end your day. When you think of things you're thankful for you can't help but smile. I am thankful for my niece's laugh.....see, that just put a smile on my face. I am thankful for the love of my family.....I just thought of my crazy family and again, I am smiling :)

I know its not always rainbows and butterflies, we all have our days, and I'm well aware that life can throw us a shit sandwich from time to time. But that's normal...that's life! I can easily take a turn to negative town and get down on myself for being unemployed or that I'm currently living with my parents. Believe me, it is not my ideal situation...nor is it theirs! But I can always be thankful, and that is what always brings me back. I try to keep a good perspective. I'm here, I'm breathing, I have people who love me and people that I love, I am healthy, I laugh often, I get to see my niece grow up, I get to see sunsets, I get to surf, and can eat IN N OUT when I want. I have so much to be thankful for. There were a good amount of months where I couldn't eat solid food or the amount of medications I was prescribed was over 15 a day. There's always going to be difficult times, trying times, unfair times, things you want, things you cant have, but there's also always going to be good times, things to smile about, and things to be thankful for.

Coming from a place of gratitude is a beautiful thing. It makes you lighter in a way. It can put things in perspective. Cancer has a sick sense of humor in making you appreciate the little things in life, but boy do I appreciate them now. Like I said before, I could let this cancer thing make me harder or it can make me softer. I choose softer. Being thankful is the backbone to that way of thinking and being. What I went through was traumatic, but my life doesn't have to be that traumatic miserable event. I am reminded of a quote from poet, Mark Nepo, "To be broken is no reason to see all things as broken." That quote really resonates with me because I was broken, but even then, there was still so much good in my life, I still had many things to be thankful for. I always will.

Remember...Be thankful. Everyday.


3 comments:

  1. Love this! Let us know if/when you get a Facebook (or other social media) page up so we can more easily share your messages with others! Keep up the great work!

    -Lori
    http://adventuresofasickchick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I dont know if you are an Oprah fan but she is a big believer in keeping a gratitude journal. I had totally forgotten about mine. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge fan of Oprah!! She's the best :)

      Delete