Friday, March 7, 2014

#prostheticmouthproblems

You know those times when something is so bad or so unbelievable you can either laugh or cry? I usually go with laugh. Part of that might be a defense mechanism, but part of it is also I'm just a light hearted person. Laughter sometimes really is the best medicine. Don't get me wrong, I shed some tears throughout this experience, but my mom did most of the crying for me...for everyone really. I like to think I have a pretty good sense of humor. Some people would say I'm funny, some people would say I'm a sarcastic smartass...kind of just depends on who you ask. I'm ok with either of those though, sarcasm is one of my favorite languages. As time has passed and I have grown more comfortable with my prosthetic, I've been able to joke a bit more at the whole idea of having a prosthetic mouth and all of the random situations that come along with it. Know your role though. I can joke about it, and you can laugh with me, but you can't make the jokes. Only in rare circumstances and people who I'm incredibly close with (you know who you are) can make the joke. Even then, I'll probably laugh along but still give you a look like, hey...watch it ; )

So here's a list of situations I've come across with my prosthetic where it's so random you just have to laugh. Those times when you think to yourself and the universe, REALLY?! I've dubbed it "#prostheticmouthproblems." My friends get a kick out of these anytime they happen and the hashtag just captures the humor and sarcasm of it all perfectly.

That time when you sneeze and your mouth comes out.
#prostheticmouthproblems
         
That time when you're at dinner, take a sip of wine, and it comes out your nose onto your plate.
#prostheticmouthproblems

That time when you eat a meatball sandwich and then 5 minutes later, blow your nose, and there's marinara sauce all over the kleenex.
#prostheticmouthproblems

That time when you blow your nose and you have to spit it out your mouth.
#prostheticmouthproblems

That time when you eat a piece of taffy candy and it literally crumples and bends your mouth as if it were a piece of foil.
#prostheticmouthproblems

That time you actually thought you could eat taffy candy with your mouth!
 #stupid #whatwasithinking

To better understand, you need to know what I've got going on in that mouth of mine, so here's a little breakdown: The maxilla bone (I had never heard of it either) consists of your upper palate and upper jaw...basically the roof of your mouth. It essentially forms the boundaries for the roof of your mouth and the floor of your nose. Well, I had most of my maxilla bone removed. Now there is a big hole with nothing separating my mouth from my nose and sinuses. That's where the prosthetic comes in, it recreates that boundary or separation from my mouth and nose. Without it, I can't breathe properly, speak intelligibly, or eat and drink without it escaping through my nose. It's always in, never comes out, only to clean it... or the occasional big sneeze. It's an awkward thing to have in your mouth all the time, but it's even more awkward without it, trust me. It really is a magical little device. If I pop it out, you can barely understand a word I say, but when I pop it back in, I can instantly speak normal. It's not perfect though, obviously the seal it is meant to create is not perfectly sealed, so things still get through.

My cousin Nicole jokes that with my removable mouth, I have an awesome bar trick now. I told her, if I'm ever out at a bar and take this thing out, take me home immediately because I am obviously waaaay too drunk to be out anywhere!! Someone asked me recently how long it took me to get used to my prosthetic. I replied with, you don't get used to it,  you just choose to move on. It's a big piece of acrylic inside my mouth meant to plug up a big hole, and has a bunch of fake teeth attached to it... how do you get used to that?! It is IN my mouth!! I still notice it almost every second of the day. Anytime I eat or drink, anytime I smile, anytime I swallow, I notice it. But that's all I do, I notice it and I move on....or at least try to. I choose to laugh, I choose to be thankful, and I choose to move forward... prosthetic mouth problems and all.

#Bethankful #Everyday

No comments:

Post a Comment