Sunday, January 11, 2015

My One Little Word for the New Year

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer."  -Nora Neale Hurston.

Here's to a new year, new changes, new goals and a fresh start. In actuality, we can choose to have a fresh start any time we want. It's totally on us, the when and where makes no difference. But there is a collective buzz in the air of setting new goals and resolutions for the start of a new year.

Since I'm finally posting this, it's interesting that we are almost two weeks into the new year and you can already see people settling into old habits and that 'New Year, New Me" buzz is starting to fade. Nothing in 2015 is going to change unless you do. It's important to have little reminders or something to refer to through out the year to bring you back to that mindset. 

I don't necessarily have New Years resolutions in the traditional sense. I go more along the lines of how do I want to feel this year, what can help me get there? What do I want more of, what do I want less of, what can help me get there? How can I continue to grow as a person, what can help me do that? I think how you want to feel is just as important as what you want to do. It's important to pay attention to mind, body, and spirit.

There's something exciting with a new year and new possibilities. That 'clean slate', 'fresh start' type of magic. Although I have a lot of that for this new year, I think it's important not to get caught up in that either. The here and now is what really matters. It's a constant balance of appreciating and celebrating what we do have and the life we've created while working to further ourselves more.

It's no secret these last few years have been tough for me (years that have asked questions)... maybe with the exception of the last 9 months or so. This is probably the first time since the Big C that I'm genuinely excited for what a new year will bring. The last few years I was just so relieved they were over and I made it though another one, the new year was an after thought. I was just glad I made it through the last one. I've felt major growth this past year or so and I'm excited to start a new year looking forward to more of that.

This year, along with a couple family members, I'm participating in Ali Edwards One Little Word Project. You basically pick a word for the year, a word you want to invite into your life, something to focus on, reflect on, and invite in each day throughout the year. Each month there are little prompts and creative activities to help you really get in sync with your word. The word I chose, although it felt like it really chose me, is Explore. These past few years have been massive for me in self-discovery. Being sick, being broken, being lost, and eventually finding myself again. I've learned so much about myself and about life and I want more. I want to go deeper and explore more. Explore my comfort zone, my fears and weaknesses, my dreams and triumphs and everything in between...I just feel like I'm still searching.

I'm excited for the possibilities of this new year, whether it's one that asks questions or one that answers.

Always remember...Be thankful. Everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment