Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Cup Runneth Over

I love this time of year, Thanksgiving. Being thankful. It means a great deal to me because it is the backbone of how I try to live my life everyday. Other than cancer-versaries or the anniversary of my surgery, this time of year really makes me reflect and appreciate what I have like those days can. It makes me think about how lost I was, how far I've come, how grateful I am. Just being present and tuned in to the here and now...and being grateful for it.

At least for this one day, I think (or I hope) people really stop and take the time to be thankful, it's a noticeable lighter feeling. Until Black Friday comes and people are literally trampling over others to get their hands on a TV that’s 75% off!! But for now, for today, you can still feel the warm hug of being thankful, so let’s go with that…

Take some time today to really reflect on the things you are thankful for. Really stop and think about it. Get simple. What are you thankful for? I guarantee you it will fill you up and make you smile. 

All of the little things and the big things. They all matter. Notice them. Appreciate them. Do it again tomorrow. For me, a few would be my big, crazy family, my friendships, my parents, my health (and my health insurance), all of the love that I share, my niece and absolutely EVERYTHING about her. Sunsets, the ocean, living near the beach, sarcasm, inside jokes, family traditions, my job and the work that goes into it, laughing, surfing, sharing waves with my brother, a good cocktail with friends, In-N-Out (if you know me at all, you know I’m totally serious). I could go on and on...

How great is that? I have so much abundance and love in my life. I know this all sounds cheesy, but I'm totally serious. Always take stock. Look at the abundance in your life, how far you've come, how much you have to be thankful for. It will inspire you, motivate you, comfort you, and bring you joy. All that goodness radiates off you, you know? It can be contagious...just a fun fact :)

There's always going to be difficult times, trying times, unfair times, things you want, things you cant have, but there's also always going to be good times, things to smile about, and things to be thankful for. Don't ever forget that.

It is important not only to think about and recognize all the things that we are thankful, but also to live it. Notice and appreciate them, yes, but live with that abundance of gratitude in your heart always. JFK said it best, "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."

I am thankful for the honesty and clarity this experience has brought me. Never again will the simple act of waking up to a normal, boring day as a healthy individual be taken for granted, nor go unappreciated. The tough times, the setbacks, the struggle, and the moment you realize it was all worth it.


BE THANKFUL. EVERYDAY.






No comments:

Post a Comment